Family Law & Taxes - Head of Household

If you are unmarried or “considered unmarried,” you can file your taxes as “Head of Household.” As head of the household you typically qualify for lower taxes, receive a higher standard deduction, and can claim certain tax credits available only to a “Head of Household.”

To be “considered unmarried,” you must have paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the year and it must have been the main home for your dependents (child, stepchild, or foster child) for more than half the year. Furthermore, your spouse cannot have lived with you in the last six months of the year. Finally, you must file a separate tax return.

For these and more tips, our series on tax and family law will continue next week.